This Blueberry Chia Metabolic Smoothie is not only great for your metabolism it’s also quite delicious and satisfying!
If you know me…you know I love smoothies. Lately, I’ve been loving them even more since I get to share them with my baby girl.
It makes me so happy seeing her light up and say, “peas”, when she wants another bite. That’s her sweet way of saying “please”.
It also makes me feel good to know exactly what nutrients she is getting when she gobbles up this smoothie, which all benefit her growth and development.
I’m definitely not always “perfect” about giving her only healthy foods so when I find something she LOVES, that is also good for her, I take full advantage of feeding it her as often as I can.
Even though my husband doesn’t like to veer away from his all time favorite smoothie, that being peanut butter & banana, he will occasionally give in to my peer pressure of trying to UP his smoothie game with this metabolic booster! If HE loves this smoothie…anyone will love this smoothie!
Now let me tell you how this is going to boost your metabolism. I’ll give it to you list-style! Here are 6 reasons you should make this smoothie.
- High in Omega 3 Fatty Acids (ALA) – This is just one type of healthy fat that does amazing things. Ground flax seeds are a great source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids which help to reduce inflammation in the body. If you have a lot of inflammation your body will more than likely be holding on to excess fat. BONUS: ALA fats help improve hair, skin and nails so yay for that!
- High in Fiber – Both soluble and insoluble fiber help to reduce sugar cravings and support healthy colon function and detoxification. Ground flax seeds, chia seeds, goji berries and blueberries are all great sources of fiber.
- High in Protein – Protein helps you build more muscle mass which in turn helps you burn more fat. Protein also helps to stabilize blood sugar. Goji berries, chia seeds and almond butter are great sources of protein.
- High in Magnesium – Magnesium helps to activate the fat-burning hormone called adiponectin, it helps convert food into energy, supports blood sugar regulation, and also supports bone and nerve health. Spinach, almond butter, flax seeds, and chia seeds are all great sources of magnesium.
- Coconut Oil is AWESOME! – I’m sure most of you know some of the benefits of coconut oil, but let me just give you a few more reasons to love it. First of all, it stimulates our metabolism and boosts our energy. It is a medium chain fatty acid which our bodies burn for fuel faster, therefore it is less likely to be stored as fat. It also helps reduce our sugar cravings and aids in keeping our blood sugar levels low. It is essential for aiding our bodies in the ability to absorb fat-soluble vitamins & minerals like calcium, vitamin D and MAGNESIUM! Yep there’s that word again!
- Cinnamon is also AWESOME! – Cinnamon helps control insulin levels! Also, when you add cinnamon to other foods it has the power to lower its glycemic index by 18-29%! That’s crazy! You want to aim at consuming foods that are 55 and below on the glycemic scale and stay away from anything 70 and above in order to keep your blood sugar levels in check!
Are you noticing a common theme here? It’s all about blood sugar and how important it is to keep it under control in order to have the best metabolism of your life!
In the book, The Perfect Metabolism Plan, Sara Vance writes, “The real secret to maintaining a healthy weight is to get to the root of the problem – the metabolism.
By rebooting and rebalancing the body’s metabolism, you can bring your weight into balance and recover vibrant health.”
She explains one way we can achieve this is by what she calls the rule of three. In order to start burning more fat instead of just burning sugar we need to include at least one high quality protein (like grass-fed beef), one fiber (like broccoli) and one healthy fat (like coconut oil) in every single meal we eat.
I encourage you to get this book for in depth information on understanding the link between metabolism and our blood sugar, how to identify food intolerances, debunking common diet myths, lots of recipes and meal plans, and SO MUCH MORE. I highly recommend!
“The real secret to maintaining a healthy weight is to get to the root of the problem – the metabolism. By rebooting and rebalancing the body’s metabolism, you can bring your weight into balance and recover vibrant health.” -Sara Vance
So now that I have loaded you down with information ;D…here is my Blueberry Chia Metabolic Smoothie recipe! I hope you make it, share it, and love it! Please leave a comment below and follow me over on instagram!
Blueberry Chia Metabolic Smoothie Author: Megan Retherford Serving size: About 1 Cup What you need: 1/2 frozen banana 1/3 C organic frozen chopped spinach 1/2 C organic frozen blueberries 1 heaping Tbsp almond butter 1 dash cinnamon 2 Tbsp organic dried goji berries (optional but awesome!) 2 Tbsp organic flaxseed mill 1 Tbsp chia seeds 1 tsp organic unrefined coconut oil 1 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk What you do: Throw it all in a blender and prepare to be energized!
Sara Vance, The Perfect Metabolism Plan: Restore Your Energy and Reach Your Ideal Weight, Conari Press 2015